Summer comes with a lot of interesting activities as well as related health problems. Among common ones is sunburn, a condition that you can easy catch while participating outdoors activities like camping, swimming, trekking or running. Basically, sunburn is the consequence of a long exposure of UV rays from the sun, causing damage to the skin.
Commonly, the symptoms of sunburn will appear 5 hours after long sun exposure. First, the area will turn red then it will cause you irritation and even pain. If the affected area is not treated properly in time, it is likely to lead to peel skin and blister. Even much worse, the UV ray from the sun is a potential factor of skin cancer.
To avoid sunburn and its consequences, you should:
- Stay out of the sunlight, especially from 10AM to 4PM.
- If it is necessary to go out in that time, you necessarily need to wear sunscreen even with the areas that are covered by the clothes.
- Besides, it is highly recommended to put on clothing that has long sleeves, hat and sunglasses.
In case you get sunburn, before resorting to chemical products, try to use some of natural home remedies for sunburn using available and simple ingredients.
Let’s take a look at top 15 home remedies for sunburn.
Almonds are packed with vitamin e and antioxidants. Accordingly, they are used in various treatments, including home remedies for sunburn.
- Take a few almonds and puree then mix it with sandalwood essential oil.
- Use the mixture to rub gently on the skin.
- Leave it a few minutes before rinsing it off.
Honey has been so well known for its health benefits to human and one of them is the treatment for sunburn. Specifically, honey is able to accelerate the growth of new skin cells while promoting the healing process of damaged skin. By applying honey, you will not only quickly get relief from the condition but also improve the skin texture and tone.
- Mix honey with lemon in the ratio of 4:1.
- Apply the mixture onto the affected area and leave it for at least 30 minutes.
- Do this twice per day to get the best result in a short time.
3. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice can be used as a powerful treatment for sunburn as it can cool the area and lighten the skin.
- Mix lemon juice, cucumber juice and attar together. Use the mixture to apply on the skin. Wait for 15 minutes before rinsing off.
- Alternatively, you can mix lemon juice with honey.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
Another ingredient can be used to treat sunburn is apple cider vinegar. Thanks to the acetic acid in the liquid, it can help ease the burn and heal the skin.
- Dilute apple cider vinegar into water and spay it onto your affected areas of skin.
- Leave it for some minutes then use a damp clothes to clean.
- Use moisturizing cream to prevent dryness.
Read also: Home Remedies for Bacterial Vaginosis.
It is estimated that 96% of the body weight of a cucumber is water, which makes the vegetable a perfect ingredient used to effectively treat sunburn. After being applied onto the sunburned skin, cucumber will quickly cool the area and soothe the irritation. Also, it helps to promote repair process of damaged skin.
- Cut a cucumber into small slices apply them onto the affected area and wait 30 minutes. Finally, wash off with water.
- Alternatively, you can take cucumber juice and apply onto the skin with a clean cotton swab. Let it dry naturally before rinsing off.
The bleaching effect in potatoes makes them availability to treat sunburn. Furthermore, by making use of the pantothenic acid and vitamins, potatoes also help to sooth and moisturize the skin, speeding up the regeneration of new cells.
- Take a potato and boil it.
- Mash it and let it cool down.
- Use the mashed potato to apply onto the sunburned area.
- Do this daily for a few days until the skin improves.
Vinegar can be seen as a disinfectant that can cleanse the wound and burn while soothing the area and easing the pain. More specifically, vinegar reduces the pain and irritation on the skin by regulating the body’s pH level.
- Dilute some vinegar into water. Use the solution to pour on the affected skin.
- Let the area get dry naturally.
8. Gently rinse off the area using a clean cotton clothCorn Powder
Cornstarch is particularly effective in nourishing and treating problems of oily skin. To get rid of sunburn, cornstarch actively works to sooth the burn as well as encourage the new cells growth.
- Mix cornstarch with a little of water to make a paste. Apply the paste the affected area and wait for a few minutes. Finally, wash off with water.
- Another option to make treatments for sunburn with cornstarch is add cornstarch and salt into your bathtub. Soak your body in the solution and stay there for 15-30 minutes. Finally, rinse off with water.
9. Dairy Products
Daily products like fresh milk or yogurt can be really useful in home remedies for sunburn since they have the ability to sooth the burn and improve the condition of the skin.
- Use fresh milk or plain, unsweetened yogurt to apply directly onto the affected area.
- Leave it on for some minutes before wash off with water.
Containing a significant amount of water, tomato can make a great home remedy for sunburn by soothing the affected skin and promptly heal the sunburn. After using tomato, you will soon see the improvement with your smooth skin.
- Slice a tomato and apply onto the affected area. Leave it for 15-30 minutes before gently washing off with water.
- Alternatively, you can make a bathtub with tomato puree and clean water. Soak your body in it and enjoy for 15 minutes. Wash it off with water again.
11. Egg Whites
Egg whites are an excellent source of lysozyme that is effective in eliminating bacteria and promoting healing process of the skin.
- Take the egg white by removing the yolk from the egg.
- Apply the egg white onto the affected area.
- Leave it on until it gets dried naturally.
- Gently wash it off with clean water.
12. Shaving Cream
One of available treatments for sunburn that you might never think of is shaving cream. Even though there hasn’t been scientific evidence about shaving cream successfully treating sunburn, the ingredient still has real effect. This might comes from the composition of mint in shaving cream, which has soothing quality toward skin problems.
13. Herbal Tea
The tannic acid in tea plays an important role in cleansing and soothing the skin. This is the reason why you should put the ingredient into the list of home remedies for sunburn.
- Make a pot of any tea you want such as green tea, chamomile or ginger tea, etc.
- Spray or dab the tea onto the sunburned skin.
- Leave it for 15 minutes so that the tea con be absorbed into the skin.
- You can also put some tea bags in your water for bathing.
Oats are effective in treating skin problems, including sunburn.
- Put 2 cups of oats into a tub of cool water for bathing. Soak the body in it and wait 30 minutes. Finally rinse off again with clean water.
- Mix some oats with egg whites to make a paste. Use the paste to apply onto the skin and let it dry naturally. Rinse off again with water.
15. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera will never bring you down whenever it comes to skin problems. In this case, the plant is a trusted ingredient used to make effective home remedies for sunburn. With aloe vera, you can help moisturize the skin and encourage the new cells to grow. Besides, the anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties in aloe vera reduce the risk in which the condition gets worse.
- Take a leaf of aloe vera and cut it open.
- Take the gel inside the leaf and apply directly onto the skin.
- Wait for about 10-15 minutes before rinsing off with water.
More by Jenny Heth