Many people stay away from bitter melon because of its bitter taste. It is also known as bitter gourd, Goya, Balsam Pear and Karela. What you may not know is that despite its horrible taste, it is a food that is packed with loads of goodness. It can be prepared in many ways, including stuffed, stir-fried or even raw. You can also find it in supplement form. By adding it to your daily diet, you can benefit from wonderful health benefits.
10 Health Benefits Gained from Bitter Melon
Here is a list of 10 benefits that is gained when you eat more bitter melon.
1. Diabetes (Type II): There have been studies that show that bitter melon can increase glucose metabolism, hence lowering blood sugar. A cup of its juice daily is recommended by experts. If you are adding this fruit to your diet, be sure to consult your doctor and monitor your blood sugar regularly.
2. Cholesterol: Levels of cholesterol in the body can be significantly lowered by eating more bitter melon. Low cholesterol prevents the risk of stroke, heart attacks and heart disease.
3. Kidney stones: Bitter melon helps in eliminating kidney stones from the body by breaking them down naturally. It reduces high acid levels that cause this problem.
4. Pancreatic cancer: Research has shown that bitter melon has the ability to disrupt glucose production, controlling the growth of cells that cause pancreatic cancer. Colon, prostate, liver and breast cancer may also be prevented.
5. Skin improvement: The intake of bitter melon is known to treat skin disorders such as eczema, psoriasis and acne. Since it has blood-purifying properties, it will give you healthy glowing skin.
6. Weight loss: This wondrous fruit has a very low calorie count, making it an ideal food for those who are attempting to lose weight. It is also beneficial if you want to maintain a healthy weight rather than losing it.
7. Liver: Bitter melon acts as a tonic for the liver. Liver cirrhosis, constipation and hepatitis can be relieved when you take in this tonic. Gall bladder function can be improved and relief from symptoms of IBS can also be gained.
8. Carbohydrate digestion: As carbohydrates are converted into sugar in the body, they can be dangerous for Type II diabetes patients. Bitter melon increases the metabolism of sugar and decreases the storage of fats. Proper digestion of carbohydrates also helps in the growth and development of muscles.
9. Source of Vitamin K: Bitter melon is a rich source of this vitamin. This is great as Vitamin K helps in improving bone health and blood clotting. It also helps prevent arthritis and inflammation of joints.
10. Improved immunity: Bitter melon is known to help in the improvement of the immune system, making sure that diseases and infections are effectively fought off. Acid reflux and yeast infections can be treated naturally with this wonderful fruit.
As you can see, bitter melon has a wide range of health benefits. It may be horrible to eat, but its many great properties make it a super-food that should be added to your diet.
You may also be interested in the following articles: