Whether your child has a cough, a cold, or the flu, you can try these gentle, effective, and safe home remedies. A cold or flu usually takes about ten days to recover from it.
10 Natural cough remedies and treatments
1/2 cup honey
1 lemon (juiced)
1 TBS glycerin
- Heat the lemon juice in a saucepan without bringing to a boil, add to rest of the ingredients, mix thoroughly.
- Pour into sterilized glass jars and seal. Refrigerate.
- Instructions for use: Take 1 to 2 tablespoons as needed.
- Good old-time remedy, this stuff can get pretty pricey to buy in the herbal/natural stores.
Thyme or Basil Brew
- Brew 1 tablespoon dried thyme in 1 cup boiling water. Strain then drink (if treating sore throats, gargle with this).
- You can also make a basil version: Dried basil (1 tsp) per 1 cup boiling water. Steep then strain, add a spoonful of honey then drink.
1 oz. dried horehound leaves
1 pint boiling water
- Pour hot water over leaves and steep for 10 minutes. Strain.
- Mix 1 1/2 cups of the infused water with 3 cups of honey. Pour into sterilized jars, seal.
- Instructions for use: Take 1 tsp every 4 hours (during waking hours). Do not take more than 4 tsp a day.
- Simmer roughly chopped onions in water until soft. Combine onions with honey and eat every four hours.
Another option is to strain out the onion after boiling for about 15 minutes, then bottle the juice. Drink the onion juice as needed.
- Stir 1/2 tsp of ground ginger into 1 tsp of honey.
- Another tip is to dip a piece of fresh ginger into coarse salt (to coat the ginger) then eat it.
- Combine equal parts of aloe vera juice/gel with honey.
Apple Cider Vinegar Mix
- This one’s easy, just combine 1/2 tsp of apple cider vinegar with 1/2 tsp of honey and drink.
Rose Hip Brew
- Quite soothing, add 1 spoonful of honey to rose hip tea. Make tea with 2 tsp dried rose hips per 1 cup of boiling water, steep for 10 to 15 minutes.
This is used and prepared the same way as a mustard plaster (which is also something you could try). Minced onion can replace the garlic if preferred.
- Chop garlic finely then cover garlic with olive oil, mix to make a thick paste (about the consistency of sour cream). Spread over fabric and fold so garlic doesn’t ooze out. Apply poultice to chest then cover with hot water bottle or a microwavable heat bag.
Source of Information