Onion, this simple to grow vegetable is delicious and rich in various types of nutrients. Studies have proven that onions have many active compounds that have been confirmed beneficial for many health conditions.
10 Top Healing Properties and Medicinal Uses of Onions
1. Consume half a raw onion per day is beneficial in controlling cholesterol levels, as raw onion encourages the production of good cholesterol (HDL), thus keeping your heart healthy.
2. A mixture of onion juice and honey can be used to cure common cold and flu. Onions contain a good amount of vitamin C and the phytochemicals in onions improve the working of vitamin C in the body, thus improving your immunity.
3. Eat one medium onion, raw or cooked per day is super beneficial for your overall health: If you want to thin the blood, lower cholesterol, cure asthma, fight hay fever, treat infections, then eat onions!
The quercitin in onion helps you great in these ways, and it is even linked to inhibiting human stomach cancer. Till now, there is no better food source of quercitin than onion skins.
4. Onions have anti-bacterial property, chop up a raw onion and cover it with manuka honey, leave it for five hours. It makes a great cough syrup and is soothing for an inflamed throat effectively.
5. Onion juice can cure an insect bite or a bee bite, apply onion juice on the area for an immediate relief from the pain.
6. Onion juice mixed with mustard oil or sesame oil when applied externally helps relieving the arthritis pain.
7. Headache? Apply crushed onion on the forehead and temples to get a relief.
8. Mix 1 tablespoon of honey, 1/8 tablespoon of black pepper in a cup of onion juice and ginger juice mixture. This drink works as an effective natural treatment for asthma.
9. Onion juice is also used to cure ear and eye problems. Put 2-3 drops of warm onion juice in ears helps reduce earache. And make your own eye drop by adding onion juice in sufficient rose water to cure painful eyes and improve vision.
10. Onions are bactericidal, so you can chew onion to treat the toothache. Cut a piece of raw onion and chew it with the effected tooth for some minutes.